Last time I wrote about the science of what we do in class. I thought I would share with you some of the things you might notice when you come to a Trigger Point Pilates class particularly when you first start.
It is a class to improve your daily functional movement. The class cane help ease chronic pain conditions, as the movements help hydrate and lubricate the fascia allowing you to move with ease. The releases are effective for pre and post op surgical care and as a follow up to your Osteopathic or Physio appointments. Many of the exercises you can do at home to gain constant benefits of the fascia release.
These are some of the things you may experience during or after a class:
1. Working on equipment you can feel discomfort/burning/cracking/popping/a tearing feeling. These are only temporary while the fascia is being released. as the fascia releases using your body weight you are slowly working deeper and deeper on certain areas of your body.
2. If you have any sharp, shooting, electric nerve pain, this is a sign that something is wrong and you need to let me know immediately. it is probably just nerve compression so we need to change what we are doing to stop the compression.
3. After class you may feel extremely relaxed, the body lengthened, your joints released and you may even feel taller! You may notice a sudden burst of energy as your body is working more efficiently. Just do as you feel but don’t go crazy as your body is adjusting.
4. You may feel that you just want to rest and sleep, listen to your body as this is a healing time. You may notice a mild discomfort from headaches to sweating to the body getting hot. Again this is a reaction to the fascia releasing.
5. You may notice a mood change as ‘feel good’ hormones have been released into your system but this can also make you feel a bit sensitive. If this is the case take some time for yourself and do some deep breathing.
6. You may notice a change in your appetite and start craving foods your body is lacking nutritionally. Listen to your body, feed it foods that are going to assist with healing and cellular regeneration.
7. You can feel headachy or a deep ache due to the body restructuring itself and toxins being released via your lymphatic / nervous system. This will pass just keep well hydrated.
8. You may need to use the loo more as the fascia release can stimulate the bladder. if this happens during a class please do feel embarrassed and take yourself off to the loo.
Ideally you should do these exercises more than once a week. Just lying on the roller for 15 minutes a day can really help you. I have equipment in stock so once you have learned what to do you can supplement the classes with work at done at home.
Reference Trigger Point Instructors manual by Lydia Campbell.